Saturday, February 7, 2015

Community and gentrification


I think that one of the issues with communities, is this sense of belonging. A lot of the times there is a community in place, but if you get nothing from it, it won’t feel like you are apart of it. We talked about how commuters don’t feel like they are apart of the UMBC community. I am a commuter and I do feel like I’m not apart of the UMBC community. In a community there needs to be some sense of togetherness. Maybe if communities reached out more to the people that engage, live, or participate in them people would feel more involved. When you asked us what community we were apart of, everyone had to stop and think. That says a lot right there.
I actually don’t have a problem with gentrification. I love seeing new developments and stores that make the neighborhoods look good. I know that this situation is hard on those who don’t want to adjust or can’t afford to adjust, but it still is a positive thing. I think sometimes people let their neighborhoods go. They throw trash in the street, and stop keeping up with home improvement. I think that it’s cool that someone comes up with a vision to make a neighborhood look better. we might be hesitant to all the changes that come with it, but in the end it was the better decision. 
Right now, I don’t have a project idea for station north. And I feel that could give me an idea. Being from Baltimore and just learning about station North is a problem. Maybe in some way our project can bring more awareness to the area. Maybe in addition to the product, we could start a campaign that encourages people to get more involved in the events that are happening in station north. This could help be a wake up call for our Baltimore community; to see a side of Baltimore they haven’t before and also learn the history behind it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment